7.20.2006

Where I will live.

I am going to a place called Blue Creek in the Toledo District.  I am about 21 miles West of Punta Gorda, which is really really south and really really really rural.  My village has a population of 49 households and does not have running water or indoor plumbing.  All of the houses are wood and thatch, though most have some sort of electricity.  I am going to be working with the village council on a ecotourism projects related to nearby caves and mountains as well as doing women's development.  My counterpart is actually the village mid-wife and is a community leader and advocate for life-skills training for the women.  The village is almost completely Mayan, so I will be learning at least one, if not two, of the indigenous Mayan langauges along with a little bit of Spanish, being so close to Guatemala.  I am actually really stoked about the local and there is another volunteer in my same village and a few people that I have made friends with in nearby villages.  We have a 3 month home stay once we get there, which is fine, so I will keep you posted.  We leave for technical next week, and I will be traveling for a couple weeks before returing to Belize City on Aug 10th for our last week then swearing in.
 

No comments: