7.16.2006

The Ocean and Punta

Yesterday we were finally able to get to the ocean.  Yes, three weeks in this country and I am losing my tan line and have not even dipped a toe into the Caribbean Sea.  The inland scenery is amazing though, so I don't really have too much to complain about.  So we went to Dangriga, in the Stann Creek District, home of the Garifuna ( read here for more).  We traveled down the hummingbird highway past some of the most amazing scenery I have ever seen and ended up on the coast.  We learned how to dance the Punta, a traditional and very sexy dance.  Click here for the video I took and put on Google. 

After the culture center, we saw how to make bread out of Cassava and then ate a wonderful lunch of fish sere (surray) and hutu (mashed plantains).  The house where we ate looked over the ocean, and it would have been a wonderful day for swimming had it not been raining for the past three weeks straight.  The rivers that feed into the sea in the area are all flooding and bringing tons of dirt into the water, so it was pretty dirty.  Instead, we stopped at the INLAND Blue Hole, which is a natural lagoon, and took a swim.  It was great and I have put some more pictures up, so enjoy.

3 days til I know my site!

No comments: