5.18.2007

Lucking Out In Lucky Strike


Lazy day in Toledo

Last weekend I actually left Toledo and ventured into the great beyond known as the Belize City District. A distant land where grocery stores have air conditioning, streets have pavement, and buses don't transport livestock. As is usually the case when I leave Toledo, I attended/supported the Peace Corps men's futbol team in their efforts to boost the moral of the Lucky Strike Village team. Yes, the village is actually called Lucky Strike and no, it doesn't seem odd to Belizeans to name a village after a defunct brand of cigarettes. Lucky Strike, in addition to having a great name, is also home to PCV Jerry (who happens to have to have the same birth date as myself, so obviously a cool guy).


Me and Micah in front of the official Maya Ruin of Belize

Most of the team and the fans stayed the night in Lucky Strike, getting to experience the culture of a Creole village. Belize has all kinds of villages: K’etchi, Maya, Garifuna, Spanish, and Creole. Each has it’s own niche in Belizean society, and from my very limited experience I am going to say that the Creole village fulfills the Karaoke consumption niche. At least it was the first time I had seen Garth Brooks performed with stray chickens and dogs loose underfoot. Earlier in the evening we sampled some local history, visiting Altun Ha, the most visited Maya ruin in Belize as well as the model for the Belikin bottle (the best..I mean only beer in Belize).

The next morning, waking in our gender separated accommodations (Jerry works and lives at a Christian High School) I began the day by killing a Scorpion for a couple of “city girls”, I guess Belize district villages are not so different from my own. The game started after a turkey dinner feast, proceeds going to fight world hunger. Only 9 players managed to make it, but the local team was generous by only playing 9 on their side. We lost, of course, but it was still a great game. Clouds and a light breeze made the 95+ temps a little bearable, but then again I was sitting under my umbrella on the sides instead of running around in the sun. Did I mention that they were going to have me play goalie? Hahahahaha. Luckily for them I brought only flip-flops and a strapless dress and despite our captain’s optimism, I insisted that this was not appropriate futbol attire.

Sunday night a few of us Toledo folks stayed in the big city, which seems bigger and bigger every time I visit. Bright lights, fancy cars, and bars open past 8pm on a Sunday; amazing! Returning to the south on Monday, we stopped in Belmopan for free internet and AC at the Peace Corps HQ’s as well Thai Noodles for $1.25 US at the market. Then it was back to our reality.

PS – After four weeks of bone dry conditions, the rains came back. It was a short dry season, but for all my complaints about mud the Seattleite in my rejoiced in that moist smell and misty comfort that a good rain brings.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RPCV Lucky Strike, BZ where they called me Miss Donna and I helped write the original "Lucking Out in Lucky Strike" story with Melissa Pollard....nice story, nice photos.