12.19.2006

Ode to fruit


Pineapple is good.  Pineapple is very good when eaten in a hammock.  Pineapple is soooooo good when eaten in a hammock during a rainstorm.  I think I have gotten over plain old apples and moved on to bigger and better things.  Don't get me wrong, dear Gala's, nothing can ever replace the crispy goodness of an Eastern Washington apple right off the tree.  It's just that, well, the mushy imported fruits that call themselves apples here have forced me to explore, to experiment.  A new daily fruit to keep the doctor away, that's if there were a qualified doctor within 50 miles of me.

So my current obsession is in the sweet tartness of pineapple, but I have to give credit to the mango as well.  While noticeably absent in recent months due to the passing of Mango Season (Apr – Sep), the mango is not to be dismissed like a cabbie yelling white gyal.  Did you know that there are 13 varieties of mangoes available in Belize?  I'd be willing to bet that there are hundreds more, though my friends working hard over there in Africa would have to verify that one.  Some are sweeter, smaller, bigger, smoother, stringier, etc., etc, and everyone has their personal variety.  I'll let you know when they are back in season. 

Oh my gosh, I forgot the apple-bananas, a close runner up to the pineapple.  A miniature version of the regular banana, it really does have tart after-taste that splashes of Granny Smith.  These little things go quick at the market, so you have to be there pre-6am to get a good bunch, but man is it worth it.  So, to the Washington apples I so dearly miss, your taste is but a memory but your name lives on the fruit that keeps me being me.

2 comments:

Joey C said...

hey lady!
mango season starts in may i think...i'll let you know. but i have to say, seattle is still beating togo in the espresso aisle. i have a french press, but am saving it for special occasions. miss you! love, jo

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!