12.11.2006

just call me coach

Much like the rest of the Latin world, futbol (aka soccer) is a pretty big thing here in Belize.  This fact has put me at a bit of disadvantage since I somehow missed the youth soccer boat as a child.  Never-the-less, I was appointed honorary coach of Team PCV Belize this past week.  In an effort to promote peace through male athleticism, a group of our peace corps volunteers travel from village to village playing local teams.  Why they asked me, I know not.  Perhaps it is because I was their only spectator at their first game, but for whatever reason I am in psuedo in charge. 

Our record is now 1-2, but we are hopeful that team jerseys and some conditioning will lead to better performances in our upcoming showings.  Check out the pictures from the last game against Laguna village.  They outplayed us 7 to 0 but we did get to play on the Belize National Field, quite the honor.  Now, back to the village after a week in Belize City, more to come later.

No comments: