12.14.2006

Christmas Plans

To celebrate my sixth month anniversary of being in Belize I am leaving
Belize. No, not permanently, but even volunteers need a vacation every now
and then, es verdad? Instead of spending Christmas in the village, which I
am sure would be an interesting experience, I am traveling to Antigua,
Guatemala. Known for its location in the volcanic highlands and its
colonial architecture, it is a hot spot for backpacking
Euro-twenty-somethings. I'm not complaining.

I leave Belize via boat on the 23rd and return via boat on the 28th. Its
about 7 hours each way from Punta Gorda, which is only one hour more than it
takes me to get to Belize City. Not to mention it is cheaper for me to
travel across Guatemala than through Belize. My plans for the week are to
enjoy the vast array of foods and coffee products that are nonexistent in
Belize as well as attend Mass on Christmas eve. Did I mention that this
trip is solo? Well, turns out I have no friends. Just kidding. I probably
could have convinced someone to travel with me, but sometimes traveling
alone leads to adventures that would be impossible in the comforts of a
group. So look forward to pictures and stories from Shella's week abroad.

The truth is, this trip is planned as one big distraction, because I am
going to miss my family, friends, and the Pac NW so much. I love you all
and I can't thank you guys enough for all the wonderful goodies that I have
received. Feliz Navidad.

No comments: