6.21.2008

Glovers Atoll

I dropped off the face of the earth last week, it was great. No email, electricity, cars, phones, or shoes. Myself and 4 of my favorite fellow volunteers headed out to a little slice of rustic paradise called Glovers Reef, a coral atoll some 35 miles off the coast of Belize. For a mere pittance, we got a cabin over the water for a week, all the snorkeling we could handle, and more barracuda, lobster, and conch than we could possibly eat (though we managed). All that was required was a commitment to a full week of absolute relaxation on an island paradise, a week supply of food and water, and sunscreen.

Highlights of the trip included the guys lobster hunting with home-made tools (and hands), a feast of 4 fresh Barracuda and a Grouper that the guys brought home, endless hours of card games, and snorkeling in a coral paradise of colorful fish, sharks, and rays. I also perfected the art of coconut identification (what is a good coconut?), procurement (how do I get it out of the tree?), opening (now that I have the coconut, how do I get it open?), and enjoyment (first you drink da sweet sweet wata, den yu put a lita lime on di coconut...). I got a little tanner, learned how to fillet a fish, and that feeding a Nurse Shark by hand off our dock is not all that dangerous (they don’t have teeth). It was a perfect way to begin my transition from Peace Corps Shella back to USA Shella. Enjoy some pictures and I’ll be seeing you soon.

1 comment:

Alli said...

Love the pictures...

Just to let you know, nurse sharks do have teeth and will bite (usually on accident). Have a friend that ended up with 16 stitches in one hand... Glad you were able to have fun with them without incident.