7.04.2006

In Ruins

We had our first cultural day/field trip today. From San Ignacio, we went just a few miles towards Guatemala and stopped in Benque Viejo to learn about the Mestizo people in Belize (one of many cultures in the country). We had a little history lesson about the Maya in Belize, which I wont bore you with. If interested look it up on wikipedia.com. Anyways, after a great lunches of Bolles (kind of like tamales but wrapped in Plantain leaves), we headed out Xuanantunich, a local Mayan Ruin. Very cool, even though some of the guys were bummed that we missed the world cup game.

BTW - host family life is great. We did a little partying over the weekend for my host-mom's B-day and she is an excellent cook. I am living next to two other volunteers, Stan and Molly, and Molly and I have gone for runs the past two days in a row. Overall life is good and i have posted tons of new pics, so go to my zoto site at http://biallasa.zoto.com

No comments: