6.12.2007

How to travel like a PCV and other lessons from Belize

When I first received my invitation to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer in
Belize, I can't even tell you how many people told me that they were going
to come and visit me (well, I could tell you, but then I'd have to...).
Fast forward one year and the only people who had so far visited me were my
parents, twice, because they love me. And now as of last Tuesday I can add
to that list of truly dedicated my roommate and best friend. She made
sacrifices and suffered so that she could spend two weeks sweating in the
jungle, being bitten by mosquitoes and fighting off snakes. Okay, I lie.
Actually she cashed in some airline miles and showed up Belize for a 2-week
long tropical vacation, but I have to make it sound tough so that everyone
else reading this doesn't get too jealous.

We started our vacation in Belize City with a not-so-crazy night of playing
Hearts with other PCV's. Then it was off to the Caribbean paradise of Caye
Caulker for some R&R. On a whim and despite terribly rough seas, we joined
up with a snorkeling tour at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Good choice. A
full day in the water paid off with close-enough-to-touch encounters with 6'
sting rays, nurse sharks, spotted eagle rays, manatees, and loggerhead
turtles as big as me. We also saw our share of colorful little fish, eels,
and coral. By far the best $40 I have spent in this country. After Caye
Caulker we headed straight south so that I could do some work and TL could
sit back and watch how PCV work is done. I facilitated a meeting of
Belizeans dedicated to protecting the environment in the warehouse that
supplies cacao to Green & Blacks, an organic chocolate now available at
Target. Then a last minute trip to Placencia to say goodbye to some great
friends who have decided to cut their PC experience short and return to the
states gave us some additional beach time. Placencia is also home to
fantastic Gelato and cheap rum drinks, a recipe for a great day.

Now we relax in Blue Creek, after arriving here in true Toledo style. A 6am
bus ride to the Dump junction, a 5 mile ride in the back of a Ministry of
Health Truck, 1.5 miles of walking with too much stuff, .5 miles in an old
school bus to the quarry, then another 1.5 miles in the back of another
truck and we landed at my doorstep. I demonstrated how to do laundry in the
river, we took a swim, ate lunch, then a nap. A great day.

PS: My cat decided that she needed a vacation and abandoned Jeff who was
watching her while she was gone. I was a little sad and worried about her
chances versus a Jaguar, but shortly after we arrived, she showed up at my
house, still happy and healthy.

No comments: