6.20.2007

Great Weather for River Otters



So TL is gone. Now who am I going to speak Norwegian with? Guess I'll have to focus on my Mopan and K'etchi . Her journey to Belize was awesome, and I think I gave her a pretty good idea of what my life is like. So if you need to know what it's like to be me, you can just ask her (of course you can still always just ask me, but if I'm not around, she'll work too).

We rode on a lot of buses, ate lots of rice, and sweated even more. She went to meetings with me, smiled at the little kids in my village as they followed us around, and drank Belikin Stout at a less than reputable establishment (what were those women selling out of those fanny packs anyways?) She even got to see the power of the rainy season in the rain forest as my ever beautiful river became a raging beast that swallowed the bridge and our plans to go to a soccer game in one bite. Oh well, we both maintained a relaxed Central American attitude and rolled with it. We did make it the Belize Zoo, which may be the coolest little zoo in the world. With no worries about lawsuits (I think that requires a country with lawyers), they let you get up and personal with some really friendly Jaguars, Monkeys, Toucans, and Otters. Just don't put your fingers through the fence, or do, no one is going to stop you at the Belize Zoo.

Having a guest was great, but it made me realize a couple of things. 1) I really do miss home and all the nice things: good smelling fabric softener, coffee, and not sweating; and 2) I really do love Belize and it is very much home to me now, crowded buses, starchy food, and never-ending rain and all. So I will see many of you back state-side soon enough and by the way, whoever is picking me up at the airport (yes Mom, that's you) better be prepared to make a swing through the Wendy's drive-through for a Frosty. That's a command, not a request.

2 comments:

laura gus said...

Shella Bella -
I am so glad you and TL enjoyed your time together. I know I am one of those people who promised to come visit you during your time in Belize. Hopefully I'll win the lottery SOON so that can become a reality. I am also very proud of you for going snorkeling in the ocean of all places! Keep writing your blog so I can keep updated on your exciting experience.
Miss you and love ya,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Great work.