6.21.2007

Homecoming

Did I fail to mention that I after I dropped my friend off at the airport
and returned to my village, looking forward to getting back into the swing
of things, I turned on my water pipe to wash off my dusty feet only to find
absolutely nothing. Seems that sometime over the past two days the newly
elected water board had turned off the pump that feeds to village. They did
this in order to clean the tank and upon cranking it back up discovered that
it was dead. No pump, no water in the tank, no water in the village. Now -
I have maintained during my time in Belize that I would rather be without
electricity than without running water, and now having lived without both at
one time or another, I stand by that assertion. Hauling 10-gallon buckets
full of river water or water from the school rain vat is a chore, and doing
dishes is much more inconvenient when they have to be carried to the river
in order to avoid using precious drinking water. I have been told that the
new pump should come soon, which is anywhere between 2 days and 2 months.
Seems like a perfect time for a vacation.

As I write this, sweating from laundry, dishes, and hauling water, I glance
over at my cat just in time to see her running across the floor with a
5-inch lizard in her mouth. Yuck. Being the well-fed feline that she is,
she insists on throwing the dead reptile around my room before nibbling at
some of the tastier parts. It looks like the tail has already detached, and
I can only hope that I don't find it under my pillow tonight. Ahh, it's
nice to be home again.

No comments: