3.29.2007

Transition

Here's a little story from one of my first experiences abroad. January 2002
I went on a month long study abroad "J-term" with a Sociology class to
Jamaica. It was my first experience being outside the country for such a
long period of time and my initial foray into the art of traveling sans
supervision. The trip was eye-opening and stressful and stretched me in the
way that I viewed the world and myself. I saw what a developing country
really looked like and for a very short period of time, was able to imagine
what it would be like to live in that world. Looking back, I realize how
short those 3.5 weeks really were.

During the first week of that trip, when me and the members of my group were
still pasty white and in awe of the energy that is Kingston, Jamaica, we met
a Peace Corps volunteer. We were riding on a ferry to a small historical
port near Kingston, and this guy was traveling with his dad. When we got
off the boat, he made a point of talking loudly in Creole with the locals
and then proceeded to tell us how much we had offended the Jamaican
passengers on the boat by our loud talking and by putting our feet on the
benches. These accusations may have been true enough, but I was left with
such a bitter taste in my mouth about the arrogance of this "Peace Corps"
that I am surprised I came around to the idea in the end.

So my reason for telling you all this story, is that I have on more than one
occasion been faced with a not so different scenario. Riding a bus, walking
in town, or even chatting with the ladies at the river in Blue Creek, some
well-meaning tourist will pull some cultural blunder. Each time this
occurs, I am back at the dock in Jamaica, thinking about how much I wanted
to learn about Jamaica and here someone was telling me how dumb I was. Not
a good feeling. So now I am here to defy the Peace Corps stereotype, and to
let others make their own cultural blunders. I enjoy talking with tourists
and hearing about their experiences, and I realize that while I have learned
so much about Belize in my last 9 months, I am no means an expert.
Traveling, whether for a week or for 2 years, is an amazing opportunity and
who am I to detract from that with a know-it-all attitude.

So, to my friends and family; as one who can be a know-it-all, you have my
permission to put me in my place when I return to the states. Remind me
that I am not a wikipedia entry on Belize/Maya's/rain forests. Ask me about
things, and I will be glad to share, but for God's sake, tell me to shut up
when I start to speak in Creole or giving lectures about life in Belize.

1 comment:

Joey C said...

shella darling,
at least you get tourists!! i'm in the capital right now, and i just had a diet coke, hamburger, and cappucino, in that order. i'm in heaven! i'm here for a meeting on PST...the new group of health volunteers arrives in june already! i won't feel like a freshman after that. i'm warping to second year status!

i think my bro is going to get married sometime next summer, so i'm still up in the air for vacay plans...but i'm thinking morocco and paris in sept. you in?

miss you! i was just thinking about spring break last year. god we were piles of shit. love it!

jo