3.07.2007

PRE

I Shella B., hereby declare that I am of sound mind and body and enter into
this event fully acknowledging the potential risk to said mind and body.
Despite agreeing to participate in such a ludicrous affair a mere 40 hours
before the starting gun, I assure all skeptics that I am ready to be called
into action.

THE RUTA MAYA - HERE I COME

The plan was to be support crew. Then the plan was to stay in my village
and avoid all association with La Ruta, as the pros call it. But something
bit me, left me temporarily insane, and I all of sudden find myself packing
my bag for a 4-day 120 mile canoe race. Oh, did I forget to mention the
punch line? Yes, I will in all likelihood sitting in a dorey (aka canoe)
from Friday until Monday as I paddle, along with two other loonies, from the
Guatemalan border to the Caribbean Sea (not in a straight line of course).
If you would have asked me on Tuesday (today being Wednesday) if this was at
all possible, I would have certainly denied it. Who knows what leads to
these sort of things, and for some reason being in the Peace Corps has led
me to do all sorts of insane things. Now, I'll drop everything I am doing,
pack a bag in less than an hour, take a bus for 8 hours just to sit in a
boat for 4 days just to get back on that bus and return to my village. All
in the name of fun.

I write this prior to the event, and will write another testament
afterwards, but from my previous experiences with seemingly impossible feats
of bodily strength and endurance, I shall not regret this decision. My
fellow penguins, I dedicate miles one and two to you (you can fight over
mile one :-)).

No comments: