4.17.2007

Walking in Cockscomb

A couple of weeks ago I journeyed up to Cockscomb, also known as Belize's
Jaguar Reserve. It was a nice day trip and something that I should have
done long ago. Thousands of acres of well maintained trails, clear rivers,
cascading waterfalls descending into deep pools, and animals, lots of
animals. You would think that living in the jungle and all, that I would
tire of mossy paths surrounded by rain forest canopy. Nope, not at all.

I went up to Cockscomb to meet up with some friends who were doing a 20 mile
hike that day. Since I failed to make it out of bed early enough to
participate, I decided to do some solo hiking and meet up with them for post
hike refreshments at the cabin (a bargain $4 a night for PC volunteers).
The path I chose, per recommendation, was known as Tiger Fern trail, which
offers an excellent vista and ends at two amazing waterfalls and pools. 3
hours out and back with a cool dip in between. The swim at the end was a
retreat and as the sun dipped behind the Maya Mountains, I made my way back
to the trailhead. Steep switchbacks and a sense of urgency at the pending
darkness combined to provide me with a few mud covered slips that
necessitated a quick dip into a stream, clothes and all.

With my bath complete, I hurried on my way, but not before coming face to
face with some of the local wild life. Being of the Pacific Northwest, I
never hike alone without being loud, whistling or singing to make sure that
I don't surprise any bears. Well, as I am not exactly in bear country down
here, I must have been too quiet when I surprised an unsuspecting Warri, or
Peccary, the local wild pigs. He stared me down as I picked up a large
stick and made it known that I was really really scary and should be feared.
I had heard too many stories of people getting cornered or treed by an
unhappy Warri. He ran a little ways into the bush, but kept a close eye on
me as I walked down the trail, waving my stick and singing "Zippity Do Dah."

I made it back to the cabins unharmed, muddy, and proud of my ability to
keep my cool in the face of two large tusks and a menacing glare.

2 comments:

Tina Di Mauro said...

Very interesting blog. Kiss kiss

Jeff said...

Yes! A new Shella entry. It's about time.