4.26.2007

Technology Pros and Woes

Oh poor me, my jungle internet connection is down. Something about the school's modem being only temporary and the internet provider promising a new one. He is putting it on a plane "right now," he swears. I'm guessing in another month or two they might have a connection again, but in the mean time I have to tough it out with my once a week connection. But the bright side is that I just found out that the District Library in Punta Gorda has free wireless. My two most favorite words in the world. So if I seem a little out of touch, it’s because I am.

I also discovered that I can climb up one of the hills surrounding Blue Creek and get two bars of cell phone reception. The trail is a little tricky. Seems the blazers didn’t know about switchbacks and forged straight up the hill at a about a 50 degree grade, leaving the summit only accessible in the dry season. The view from the top, however, is great.

And now April has come and gone. With my most wonderful trip to Guatemala with my parents, I started on a major up. By the time I got back though, the dry season arrived. I had heard rumors about this, but so far daily rain showers had kept the nights cool. Now rain comes only once every week or two and everything is dusty dusty. I know, I complain about the mud, and now I complain about the dust. Do we see a trend here? Dirt, in all forms, is a pain and something I am eager to escape. With that, I need to go buy and mop and continue my epic battle against filth.

View of Blue Creek from Cell Phone Spot

No comments: