2.13.2007

One of those weeks

I can't believe how this week has gone. Personally, I blame Jeff for the
time warp that was the past 8 days. While he is up in Cayo taking a class on
strategic writing (which I respect), I am hiking up and down the road in
Blue Creek, monitoring his classes, keeping the computer lab open, opening
the library, and teaching the primary school kids. In addition, I actually
have been making progress on HIV/AIDS education in the village thanks to a
group of village members that have taken it upon themselves to form a sort
of action committee, so that took up some time. Then I was asked to judge
the school spelling bee and help the PTA do an inventory of all of the
books. Just writing about it makes me exhausted and I may need to lay in my
hammock with a book for an hour or two just to recover.

And then tomorrow is Valentines day, which means absolutely nothing to me
since I'm pretty sure no one in my village has even heard of it. Sure, they
celebrate it in town by drinking too much (standard celebration mode), but
the whole notion of romance is lost on a place where marriages are commonly
arranged and people sometimes barely speak before their wedding. This is in
no way a critical comment, since from what I can see families here in Blue
Creek are happy and work well together. I better stop myself now before I
dig myself into a hole of seeming cultural bias.

Yesterday, sometime between riding the packed bus into town and returning
with my newly purchased plastic chairs and weekly groceries, I had a great
idea of something witty and refreshing to write about. However, because I
lacked a pen and the personal space to reach into my bag to look for one, I
lost the revelation and am stuck writing about the mundane. Sorry, maybe
next time for your sake, I will retain that wonderful insight long enough to
catalogue it for all to see.

No comments: