2.13.2007

Epiphany

I remember the brilliant and inspiring thing that I was going to write. Did
you know that Anna Nicole what's her face died?? Bear with me here, I write
about this surprising tidbit of world news because of how long it took me to
hear it. I guess its been about a week now and thanks to my blissful bubble
I just caught wind. So I wanted to write about how great it is to live in a
way and in a place where only the most important news reaches me.

I'll call it the Peace Corps filter. A system of living that allows only
the most pertinent information to reach us in timely manner. I'm sure that
come next month's shipment of Newsweeks, there will be a detailed
examination into the aforementioned person's death, but until then I get to
focus on more important things. For example: Belize is taking bids on
finishing a 9 mile section of the Southern Hwy. This is important because
this highway is the only way in and out of Punta Gorda by road, and for
political reasons beyond my grasp, is beautifully paved to about 25 miles
before Punta Gorda before turning into a pot-holed, cratered, dirt fiasco.
After 9 miles of this nonsense it again turns into a regular two-laned
highway. Imagine going along I-90 towards Spokane, and somewhere around
Ritzville the road suddenly turns into a logging access road better pit for
the Colville National Forest. It then turns back into a proper highway at
Cheney. It is that weird. Anyways, enough ranting about the bumpy bus ride
anytime I need to leave Southern Belize. I have other news to focus on, like
the upcoming Village Council Elections. If you thought politics in the US
were good, let me tell you, nothing beats the race for Village Chair in a
community of 300 for good theatre.

1 comment:

Joey C said...

hello my dear,
well, now i am getting celebrity gossip from your blog! crazy. did she OD on trim-spa or what? i guess some news really isn't that important.

you should run for village chief! that would be awesome. you could run on a women's empowerment agenda. do it!

i had my first bout with food poisoning yesterday. who knew you could projectile vomit with nothing left in your stomach. yuck. things are good now, but i was wishing for an IV yesterday.