10.14.2006

Mi Gattito, Ms. Missy

I was planning on getting a cat from the day I signed up for the peace corps, so when my neighbor and friend, Ms. Ofelia, told me that her cat had kittens, I was thrilled.  How convenient, 4 little furry bundles to choose from just down the road from me.  6 weeks later, I eagerly picked one out and brought it home for my very own. 

I named her Missy, mostly because the Mayan word for cat is mis and the younger children don't speak any English and they like to point at her and say, "Bella, bella, mis, mis."  By the way, bella bella is what the two youngest have started calling me, which is pretty cute. 

So now I have a really really scrawny, scruffy, needy kitten.  I am sure it will get bigger and eventually become cute, but right now it looks like it has been through the ringer.  I have been catching it some sardines in the river for dinner and giving it eggs and bread for lunch.  I am going to try and make it a little bit fat, it for nothing else but the novelty of having a fat cat in a world of skin and bone felines.  I want to get her fixed, but I was told that if you take your animal to the vet in PG to get fixed, you have about a 50/50 chance of getting it back.  I'll put up some pictures of my little mis.

In other news, the heat is back, with a vengeance.  I don't know what it is, but after the weekend in PG, someone turned the thermostat up and I have been hiding indoors, sweating like a champ.  I am waiting, patiently, for this thing they call the cool season.  Let me tell you, doing yoga is tough when you are sweating so much that you are pooling on your mat.  Gross, is all I have to say.

Upcoming: Monday - my first community meeting with the entire village, kinda scary. Tuesday - begin teaching computer classes at the primary school. 2 computers, 1 teacher, 20 kids, you do the math.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shella ~ So happy that you now have a kitty to keep you company! I love reading your blog; it's great to hear of your adventures and that you're doing so well. Good luck with the meeting and the next phase of your work!
Thinking of you, Terri in Spokane