8.19.2006

Moving Day

By some freak of nature that I will not question, I am getting internet in my hut right now.

I write this from my little Mac, which is on a table in a room halfway between Punta Gorda and Guatemala.  Yesterday I arrived home and for the first time in 2 plus months unpacked my bag.  I put maps on the walls and set up some pictures.  I look out the window at jungle and a crystal clear turquoise river.  Things from now move slow, so all I can do is be patient and breath.

Thursday left Belize City and said goodbye to all of my companions of the first month and a half. When looking at a map of Belize, Toledo is the farthest district south and has the fewest roads, but the map cannot do justice to the actual distance and isolation that is Toledo.  By bus, it is 5-7 hours from Belize City to Punta Gorda and another hour to Blue Creek and three hours to Dolores. I should introduce my support system, the small group of people who live with me in what we have termed "The Toledo Cluster-f**k." 

* Jeff Frank – Fellow Blue creek volunteer and a heck of a guy.  Hails from Maine and writes like nobody's business.
* Nessim – Surfer from San Diego who will be our volunteer in PG and always speaks the truth.
* Mary Beth Carey (MBC) – Former Miss Teen Knoxville and the only female in this part of the country.  She is going to rock it out in Otoxjà (Oat-a-sha).
* Matty Whipshaw – Punk rocker/ long boarder who somehow ended up in San Lucas, Toledo.  His mission is to keep myself and MBC in check and entertained.
* Nick Choppy – Has the distinction of being the most remote volunteer out there in Dolores.
* Graham – Goes by just one name and has the best Tom Seleck mustache and Boston accent.  Will soon be known as the white guy on a horse in Jalacte. 
* Michael Norbeck – Of Chicago/MN, most commonly known as Fidel thanks to his hat and facial hair combo.  He's setting up shop in Big Falls, where the Southern highway becomes paved again.

So our group of 5 (3 are bound for Guatemala, bastards) loaded up all of possessions into the James Express Bus bound for Punta Gorda yesterday.  It was the first time any of us had used public transportation to move.  The ride was fine in the air-conditioned coach bus, made even more enjoyable by the tunes chosen by the driver, including the entire Celine Dion "A New Day" album.  Amy Johnson, you'll be happy to hear that he even repeated the song A New Day twice, I couldn't help but think of the time that the Tre Jenter sang that song in front of a few dozen incoming freshman as a way of stalling.

So this is getting long and I need to let my computer rest and go bath in the river.  I'll soon include pictures from the swearing in party and maybe more from my little village. 

No comments: