8.09.2006

Life in the Village

Well - I saw my village and spent my first two nights there.  It is amazingly beautiful there and the people are open and friendly.  I have put up a couple of pictures of my trip to San Pedro and my new home.  It is one room in a board house, the other room is shared by 4 of my host siblings.  The main house, a thatch roof home, is where the kitchen is and my parents sleep.  Ms. Benita is very kind and cooks excellent corn tortillas.  I have even managed to make a few that are round enough to puff up when they cook, which is how you know that they are done.  I still have to work on my griddle technique, since it is all done with a bare hand and my poor American fingers are a little sensitive to the heat.  I will live with the family for 3 months and then I will most likely look around the village for a house of my own.  The village has electricity, so I might even be able to acquire a hot pot and a toaster oven.  I am now on my way back to Belize City, with tonight in PG (Punta Gorda).  This a great little town and I hope that everyone who comes to visit is able to make it down here.  Thanks for all your love and support and I will send more news soon. 

No comments: