11.23.2007

Tommy the Turkey's Big Day



Meet Tommy, our honored guest at Thanksgiving this year. Tommy was born and corn-raised in Dump, Belize and had the privilege of being Thanksgiving dinner. In the spirit of do-it-yourselfness that pervades the Peace Corps psyche, we decided to begin the day by getting in touch with our inner hunters, and started dinner from scratch. Tommy joined us early in the A.M., and several men much tougher than myself armed with Guatemalan machettes, rope, and a strong stomach put an end to Tommy's short, though I am sure very meaningful life. The process was a slow one, as the group of 10 highly educated volunteers had to debate the proper way to drain the blood, pluck the feathers, burn the feathers off, gut, clean, prep and roast a turkey.

Two hours after Tommy was relieved of his head, he was in the oven. I have to admit that I was skeptical of the results, predicting a very tough, gamey meat, but as I usually am, I was proven wrong. Tommy joined the green bean casserole, potatoes, salads, stuffing, and cranberries and stole the show. Sure, he was a little small compared to the hormone fattened beasts you meet in the states, but he did his best to fill our waiting stomachs. By 7pm the bones were picked clean and the last bowls were getting washed out. The 4 pies (pumpkin, key lime, and cherry cheesecake) also came and went quickly. Warmed by rum and feelings of accomplishment, we shared what were Thankful for and basked in the glow of friendship and good food.

While being so far from home for the holidays is not always easy, this was honestly one of my best Thanksgivings and I am so Thankful for this experience, my friends here and back home, and for my family that has supported me every step of the way.

1 comment:

Joey C said...

Hey babe!
Happy Thanksgiving. I spent the day hanging out in an airconditioned hotel room, then we went to a sports bar to eat nachos, watch football (as in soccer) and drink beer on tap. The wonders of Ghana....so close, yet so far from my daily life.

Glad things are going well for you!

love,
j