11.06.2007

Homemade

Cooking was always something I enjoyed back in the USA, even when I had at my disposal every variety of tasty take-out and a multitude of delectable dining options. Now my eating-out options are limited to greasy tacos or BBQ chicken while in town and to the occasional kid with a bucket of tamales in the village. The necessity of food variety has spurred me to get crafty in the kitchen.

My homemade crazy began with simple soups, curries, and sweet breads. Bananas and plantains are cheap, so they provide the basis for the majority of my dessert cooking, benefiting friends and neighbors as a I try to get rid of the sugary treats. Then, in attempt to avoid all the high-carb foods that make up a typical Caribbean diet, I set out to master the art of making whole-wheat bread. I started with whole wheat tortillas, and just last week produced a batch of rolls that weren't rock hard or doughy in the middle. The gas oven without a proper temperature dial is a bit tricky, but a think I have it down now.

My confidence in my bread-making ability led me to the ultimate in homemade staples: yogurt. For a long time I couldn't find plain yogurt in town, which is necessary to start, but last month someone in Punta Gorda as crafty as myself began selling fresh yogurt. I had my starter, now I just had to figure out how to make the stuff. Thank you internet. Using my slow-cooker set to warm as an incubator, I produced my first batch of homemade yogurt. It was a little runny, so I for the 2nd batch I let in sit longer and took extra care to sterilize all the materials. It worked, and this morning I had a bowl of fresh yogurt with cereal, perfectly tart and thick.

I have surprised myself at my ability to adapt and to learn, but I don't expect to be making bread and yogurt once I get back to the USA. Let's face it, the one thing I have plenty of now is time, and I don't think that will be the case after August 2008. But until that time, I will try to improve my bread and yogurt skills, perhaps moving on gardening.

No comments: