1.05.2007

So this is the New Year?

So tonight is New Years Eve. However, by the time this email is sent, the eve will have come and gone and 2007 will in full swing. 2007 will be the year that will be spent wholly in another country. 2006 was begun on a hill overlooking Seattle and I can guarantee you that 2008 will end north of the 45th parallel. 2007, however, is all about Belize, beginning to end.

So I say goodbye to 2006, and what a dandy year it was. Moments before it began I found out that I was going to Belize. The first half of the year was spent wondering what life was going to be like during the second half, and the second half was spent wondering what life would like if were back where I spent the first half. Confused yet? In any case, I am done wondering about these unlived lives and am now just living. That, I just decided, will be the theme of 2007. Just living. In 2008 I can begin wondering what will life after the Peace Corps life be like, but until then it just all about the moment.

So this is the New Year, and I don't feel any different (ala Death Cab for Cutie). Joelle, do you remember me playing this song on my ipod last New Years at Gasworks Park? Actually, I do feel a little different, but maybe that's because this is the first New Years in a number of years that has not included cheap champagne, mediocre wine, or expensive beer. Lets just say I made up for that on Christmas Eve.

1 comment:

Joey C said...

hey lady!
i do remember last new years, and i was thinking about you this year! i'm glad christmas went well. i have to admit, i have spent almost half of my first month away from post. but it is all about settling in, right? and that's death cab, sweetie! who by the way have a new album which is wonderful. all the best. i'll send you proper post soon. it is just more fun. although, i am a little scared to go to the post office now, because the guy asks me out everytime i go in there. bonne année!