9.18.2006

Vacation from my vacation

Sep. 15th: Someone convinced me to stay in town for the weekend. I was just going to come to PG for the night, but it being St. Georges Caye day on Monday, it turned into a three-day weekend. I don't really know much about the actual holiday except that there is a nifty song on the radio about it and it is about defending the country against those annoying Spanish Conquestadors. Highlights of the celebrations here in PG included a fire truck parade tonight (PG has one fire truck) and a greased pole. Don't ask me about the greased pole, all I was told is that they put a greased pole out in the ocean and people try to climb up it. I never did get to see the actual event, but the fire truck parade was the highlight of our mundane evening. One fire truck spraying water, two police cars with lights on, and a whole bunch of people on their beach cruisers (the bike of choice throughout Belize).

Other highlights of my holiday weekend include:
- showering in shower, with hot water non-the-less
- eating veggie burgers
- eating BBQ
- drinking real coffee
- socializing with volunteers from the Jesuit Volunteers International (JVI's)
- sitting at Dwight and Judy's house (older married PVC's) watching the ocean, drinking rum & coke, and eating fresh guac.
(If you notice a pattern of eating and drinking, that is no coincidence)

Now it is Friday and somehow another week has passed in Blue Creek. I met some more people and am in the process of planning several meetings and doing house-to-house surveys about the village in order to compile a profile for the community. It will be a busy next couple of months. Well, busy is relative, but I should at least have one or two things to accomplish on most days, and that is a big deal in my current life.

No comments: