9.08.2006

chickens on my mosquito net

Sep 9: I keep trying to write to this thing and it keeps sending back error messages and then erasing my fine writing. That really makes me mad because I have been writing such lovely messages about all the fun adventures and great things that occur in Blue Creek. For now I will say that life is splendid, three weeks and I starting to really know my way around the village. It is tiny, so that is not the hard part.

I am learning more about my project, and will be doing some actual research as part of my first three months in site by construction a profile of the village through interviews and focus groups. This will kind of baseline for the projects that I will be implementing with the village council.

Other than reading about potential projects and how to do my job, I am keeping busy by playing with the family, learning how to kill and clean chickens, washing clothes, and keeping the chickens from laying eggs in my room. This is a tough job, and I am surprised how persistent those things can be when they really want to hang out with me. The rain has also been tough. Well, not really the rain, since that comes mostly at night, but the mud. Instead of sand between my toes, I usually have a constant layer of mud covering my Chaco tanned feet. Thats fine, it keeps the bugs from biting them.

I'll write a more witty entry later, but time in is money, blah blah blah. Love from Toledo.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I just came across your journal about your adventures in Belize. I added a link to your page to a database I collected of Peace Corps Journals and blogs:

Worldwide Peace Corps Blog Directory:
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

Features:
1. Contains over 1,600 journals and blogs from Peace Corps Volunteers serving around the world.
2. Official rules and regulations for current PCV online Journals and blogs. Those rules were acquired from Peace Corps Headquarters using the Freedom of Information Act.
3. The map for every country becomes interactive, via Google, once clicked on.
4. Contact information for every Peace Corps staff member worldwide.
5. Links to Graduate School Programs affiliated with Peace Corps, along with RPCVs Regional Associations.
6. And each country has its own detailed page, which is easily accessible with a possible slow Internet connection within the field.

There is also an e-mail link on every page. If you want to add a journal, spotted a dead link, or have a comment.

Thanks for volunteering with the Peace Corps!

-Mike Sheppard
RPCV / The Gambia (’03-’05)
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/