6.28.2006

San Ignacio, Belize

Well, I made it to Belize and am two days deep into training to be a Peace Corps volunteer.  I still don't have any idea where I am going in the country for my job site, but I will be updated my webpage rather than sending out mass emails too often.  Training has so far been an awesome experience and I have been meeting some great fellow volunteers.  Belize is a wonderful country and the people have been so welcoming.  
 
What I do know about where I am going to be  working is that it is going to be very very rural. Probably no regular electricity or indoor running water.  So much for evenings spent watching DVD's on the laptop.  I am really excited about the next few weeks here in San Ignacio, on the border with Guatemala.  We move in with host-families on Friday and then spend three weeks living and learning about the Kriol language before going out into the country for our job specific training.  Once we move into our villages, we must live with host families for the first three months, then we have the option to move out on our own.  As a small business developer, I will probably be working with an ecotourism project or cooperative in the southern part of the country, possibly Stann Crekk District (check a map).
I best be going.  This free computer in a bar is quite popular.  Much love and of course, peace.
 
Shella B.

Masters of Public Administration
Evans School of Public Affairs
University of Washington
Peace Corps Masters International
Belize: June 2006 - August 2008

http://students.washington.edu/shellab

No comments: