1.08.2008

6 Months to go

The thing about Peace Corps is that two years is a very long time. But then again it is just a moment. Today it is the prior. One week into 2008, I am racking my brain on how I am going to pass the next 6 months, or 25 weeks, or 190 days. I suppose I have work to do, but the teaser of going home for Christmas and seeing how successful, hip, and urban all my friends have become has thrown me off my game.  It's hard to concentrate on protected area management and rural water systems when every time I close my eyes I see snow covered Douglas Firs, and when I lay down at night I can almost feel the weight of the down comforter on me. In the morning I walk outside expecting the morning paper to be laying on my stoop and as I make my coffee I can taste the double americano from my favorite espresso stand near UW.  These figments of my imagination will fade as I adjust back to this tropical reality. And soon these sensory wishes will be real again, but for the moment that long stretch of time between right now and sometime in July will continue to taunt me with seeming infinity.  

2 comments:

Joey C said...

i never thought i would miss snow, but i do! next year, next year. maybe i'll actually get a job and take up skiing. we'll see how good my insurance is! miss you!
love,
j

Jana said...

you can do it shella.

jana