8.21.2007

all clear

Hello All,
 
Some of you may have noticed that there was a hurricane that came pretty close to Belize, and thanks to those who sent me notes letting me know that they were thinking about me.  All is safe and well now, my first hurricane experience was frankly a little anti-climatic.  I was evacuated from my site, in the south of Belize on Sunday and have been in Belmopan, the capital with all the other volunteers in the country.  We were locked down in the hotel, watching CNN and snacking on rations (peanut butter and crackers), preparing for the worst.  Lucky for us, the worse never came.  Dean landed just north of Belize, bringing lots of rain and wind here, but no damage in Belmopan.  The northern areas are still getting surveyed and may have sustained some damage and where I live may have some flooding, but we are all safe and the weather is pleasant today.  I will be up here for the next couple of days until they can get reports of damage, so I will try to write again with a more detailed update.  Thanks again for your thoughts.

No comments: