7.16.2007

Coast to coast

You know it's going to be a long day when your watch reads 8:15am and you
have already been up for 5 hours. That was today, my last full day in the
USA for another year. I could try to sum up my last 12 days of vacation in
the states, but it would make for a long read. The most notable aspect of
my trip was the lack of shock and the ease of adjustment. I really was
expecting a difficult, or at least weird experience as I entered my old life
after a year gone, but it was easy. It was almost too easy. Sure, the
grocery store was a fun experience, but I knew exactly what I wanted and
where to find it, even Target was a pleasant outing. So maybe I am not as
hard-core as I like to think I am, or maybe Belize isn't far removed enough
from life in the states. In any case, I am ready to get back to Belize, but
spending a few weeks in my old shoes reminded me how great it will be to
return as well.

So now I sit in a shady Miami Airport hotel watching cable and eating Trader
Joes Wasabi Peas for dinner. Hey, for $59 a night it's not like I am
getting room service, but I do have a bed and a shower all to myself.
Tomorrow I begin Shella in Belize, the Second Season. Stayed tuned for more
rants about rice and tales of tarantulas.

No comments: