11.25.2006

Thanks Giving

Wrapped up in my colorful, Caribbean blanket, sipping my hot coffee and eating a bowl of oatmeal, I can almost imagine an Autumn day.  A bouquet of golden-fire hued foliage sent by a friend add to the illusion. By the by, the steaming coffee and oatmeal are simply a misguided attempt to recreate a Northwest November morning - I am really cold.

Over the past week Belize has been experiencing a formidable cold front. A month ago I would have scoffed at the idea of donning socks, pants, and 2 long sleeve shirts before crawling into my REI sleeping bag. But with lows dipping into the 50's at night, I'm doing my best to stay warm in my breezy house.

In addition to being Thanksgiving, it was also my first morning in my new home.  I call it my Blue Creek Studio.  At 12 by 18 feet, it's cozy, but holds anything and everything Missy and I could possibly want. A bed, a hammock, a table, bookshelf, stove, and mini-fridge.  Kind of like college sans the running water and glass windows. I had a wonderful experience with my host family, but having my own space allows me a speck of control of my schedule, diet, and music selection (except when the neighboring Pentecostal Church is having service, then it's synthesizer Holy Pop for 3 hours whether I like it or not).

So my life is good.  I ate my first solo Thanksgiving, well, solo.  I fixed a lovely meal of curried rice and stewed cabbage and ate by candlelight.  Not because it is romantic, though it was, but because I wont have electricity until next week. I wasn't even lonely.  Mostly I was thankful: for my health, for my food, and most of all for having the guts to do this whole adventure and for all the people in my life who support me along the way.  Love.

No comments: